Thursday, November 11, 2010

Letting off Steam... and Weight

My second meeting with my doctor for the pregnancy was yesterday (11/10/10), early in the morning. I left my home feeling very confident, more concerned that there might be an issue with my blood than with me. Turns out, that when things seem too good to be true, the usually are. I really can't be envious of anyone. My personal experience thus far has been wonderful, even with the setback mentioned in the article before this.
However, my moment of shock came when I stepped on the scale. I thought I might see, at best, a small fluctuation, but nothing dramatic. I had been weighing myself fairly regularly via Vince's scale, and expected that I was in relatively good shape. Well, you can imagine my discontent as the nurse clicked her tongue. I figure she must have practiced her response carefully, perhaps over a hundred times. How could she not? To this day, I have still not met a woman who has managed to stay within the recommended limit for weight gain during pregnancy. The average, it seems, skyrockets over that. In fact, just today I read an article about a model who gained fifty pounds during pregnancy, and I would think she would have access to the best quality foods and exercise programs.
Still, other moms don't make any difference to any doctor in this particular situation. It's not about your friends, your family, those you've heard about, or what you've read. It's about their averages, and how they compare you to their charts. In this case, I started out with a weight problem and therefore was projected to gain only fifteen to twentyfive pounds to remain within their limits. In this particular month, let me begin by saying that not only does Vince's scale vary (as I understand, home scales are off from those at the office, naturally) by at least five pounds, but that at some point I had managed to tag on about eight from one month to the next.
The nurse mumbled, or I should say rather that she simply told me while her back was turned, that I had gained more than they would have liked, and then left the room after retelling me my start weight.
Next comes the head nurse, who cleverly dodges the subject entirely. That's only because she has other bad news. It seems I'm not A positive blood type as I had believed my entire life. I got the recessive end of the genes from both my parents, and am Rh negative, meaning that my anitbody counts must be monitored montly, and at 28 weeks I will receive a shot to prevent my body from trying to form weapons against a possibly Rh positive baby. Sounds fairly casual, right? It's really nothing to worry about, except that I despise doctors to begin with, and more than that, giving blood or receiving any kind of injection. Pair that with the fact that my iron level is .1 away from becoming anemic, and I was feeling... well.. still incredibly upset about my weight.
It's amazing to me that as women that bothers us so very much. I imagine it's because it's the most visible. When you look at me, you can't see my iron is low, you can't tell that if my baby has positive blood I will become sensitized to it. You can't see if my bones are losing calcium or if I am gotten enough fiber for my diet. The first thing you notice when you look at someone is their shape. From close up or afar, it is their outline that sets the shape up for us to fill in the rest of the image. I'm short, tall, fat, skinny. And apparently, I'm fat.
So next comes the doctor. And guess what? His concern is the same thing. Of course. Having a conversation like that is the worst, because, as the patient, you know they are skeptic of every defense. It's as though when you try to explain yourself, they are saying, "Suuure... riiight... fatty," in their minds. I could just picture it as I told him that I had weighed myself often, that I had somehow made a mistake but had a decent diet, that my family has weight problems. His face remained on the paperwork, and he was, at the very least, mildly sympathetic I suppose.
So, I got straight to the point. "I want you to understand," I told him, "That my diet doesn't consist of McDonald's. I'm not pounding cakes. That's not my diet."
His advice? Cut the carbs then. Carbs, he said, are in everything. Stick to meats and veggies.


Pregnancy has done one thing for me. It has made me more serene. Oddly enough, when encoutnering upsetting words, my initial reaction may be that of stubborn denial, but after a few minutes I manage to process the information and put it to good use. I don't have the typical angry outbursts that I did before I was pregnant, so perhaps, this is more of a blessing than I thought. 
So, while the weight gain isn't my proudest admission, there is no sense in denying it. I can only guess the change must be obvious, and while my friends have been good enough to blame the pregnancy, I didn't see any reason not to fess up to what was really said at the doctor's appointment. 
So, here comes the frustrating part (and after careful consideration, I have to say that this is not a hormonal rant!). Women always complain that men never listen. We say, we don't want a solution, we just want someone to talk to. Someone to hear our problems or listen to us vent as we work out our emotions. So why then, when this complaint has been passed down for generations, do we insist on not following our own darn advice? Even now, I can admit that I am guilty of it (though I like to blame that on the many male influences I had in my life, thus making me a bit more masculine). Yet it seemed like every girl I described to had instant advice. 
"Be careful, they say lots of pregnant women become obese..." or "Hmmm.. try this diet instead," or "Watch how much you eat," or my favorite, "Just stick to veggies! They are good for you."
So now, I have to say with full confidence, that part of me wants to shout back, "You know what? F@!% you," followed by one of the next available options:
-"...you gained lots of weight when you were pregnant. When you get it right, then you can come back and lecture me."
-"... You're not me, and you don't know anything about my metabolism or what I do and eat every day."
-"...You've never even been pregnant! Try it out and see how you fair."
-"... I see what you eat every day and it's way worse. Try changing your diet drastically then come talk to me."

Of course, since I am lucky enough not to have raging hormones, I didn't say any of those things. One learns during pregnancy that everyone has advice about everything, and at times it can be quite contradictory. So the best thing to do is evaluate the facts, and the ideas, against the You (who you are, what works for you, and how you feel) factor, and go from there.
In the end, my best option? Listen to my doctor's advice. He doesn't have a bad idea, and trimming my carbs won't hurt. As I explained painfully to one of my friends, if I don't at least try, I don't have any excuse at all. I am responsible for my choices, and if I walk into the office unprepared next month, I'm only going to feel that much worse.
So... I turn my disappointment in rage, which then channels itself into a focus. My focus? Write down everything I eat every day, and monitor it closely. Trim out the carbs, leaving Sunday and the occasional major holiday as my free days. This way, if I do gain weight, I can show the doctor exactly what I've been eating. If I maintain it, all the better.
Either way I win out, and to me, that's too good to pass up.

No comments:

Post a Comment